An active lifestyle is a pre-requisite for good health. However, active people are also prone to injuries, meaning they will need a physical therapist at some point. When this need arises, how do you choose the right physiotherapist or sports clinic? For people active people in the vicinity of Oakville, Ontario, here are some tips to help you find the best therapist to relieve your pain and restore you to peak condition.
Look for a multidisciplinary sports clinic
When approaching a physiotherapist or sports clinic for the first time, ask them if they have any specialties or if they treat all kinds of injuries. Your best bet is a clinic with a multidisciplinary healthcare team that can handle individualized therapy services for complaints ranging from whiplash to rotator cuff problems, and all sports or post-surgery injuries. Sheddon Physiotherapy and Sports Clinic in Oakville offers a complete range of individualized, hands-on therapeutic treatments for any health condition.
Another thing to look for is if the clinic offers long-term care, with ongoing consultation and advice about managing chronic problems and preventing future injuries. You get to form a relationship with your healthcare professionals that goes beyond merely booking isolated therapy sessions as needed. Instead, you have access to a support team of sports medicine specialists who can help keep you active, healthy and competitive.
Common questions for selecting a physiotherapist or Sports clinic
The best way to determine if you have found the right sports clinic is to run through the following questions. The ability of the clinic’s staff to answer to your satisfaction is a good indication of their skills and the level of service you can expect from them.
· Are your team members registered physiotherapists in good standing with the College of Physiotherapists of Ontario and/or the Canadian Academy of Manipulative Physiotherapy (CAMPT)?
· Have you treated patients with conditions similar to mine?
· Do you practice manual therapy techniques or rely on machines? (Always seek out therapists who use manual methods and incorporate exercises into your program).
· Will I see the same physiotherapist in each session?
· What pain can I expect from the therapy, and how long will it last?
· What can I expect on my first visit?
· Are my physiotherapy consultations covered by my medical care plan?
Sheddon Physiotherapy and Sports Clinic has a team of committed, experienced physical therapists who can offer personalized care
to athletes or people recovering from surgery and injuries in the Oakville,
Mississauga and Burlington areas. Contact us for more information.