Our Chiropractors, Massage Therapists and Physiotherapists are all trained quickly regain your function and work with you on full return to your previous activity.
Neck and back pain can arise from many things:
- Overuse and Over-activity injuries (e,g, from gardening or unusual activity)
- Wear & Tear (arthritis) of spinal (facet) joints
- Trauma and Sports Injuries
- Slipped or herniated intervertebral disc
- Whiplash, typically as a result of car accidents
- Standing, sitting or bending for long periods
- Strains from lifting, carrying, pushing or pulling
- Osteoporosis and stenosis
Back pain can be made worse by:
- Other illnesses or disease
- Being overweight
- Poor core stability and posture
- Low mood, depression and anxiety
What is Sciatica?
Sciatica is the term for when severe pain shoots down the leg. This is not always due to a significant accident or injury and may sometimes be after a relatively minor event such as coughing or sneezing. This pain is caused by the bulging of one of your inter-vertebral discs, causing compression of a nerve root in the lower back. This pinched nerve, together with four others, makes up the sciatic nerve that supplies sensation to a portion of the leg or foot.
People often describe this as a slipped disc. This is a misleading description, because what actually happens is that the pulpy contents of the disc bulge out pressing on one of the spinal nerves. The bulge itself can be painful and cause localised back pain. If it presses on a spinal nerve, this pain can be felt in a more distant area such as the arm, leg, hand or foot. This is Sciatica.
Our Back Pain Program consists of education, manual therapy, acupuncture, exercise, manipulation and other modalities to help manage and correct the pain and its causes. Our Chiropractors, Massage Therapists and Physiotherapists are all trained quickly regain your function.
MacKenzie Back Care
Unlike traditional physiotherapy techniques, the McKenzie Back Care Method ® (also called MDT or Mechanical Diagnosis and Therapy) (practiced by all our therapists) is focused on empowering you to SELF TREAT using individually prescribed very simple exercises and postures. It is most effectively used under specific conditions of the spine.