By Emily Desmarais, Registered Massage Therapist and Barre Physique Instructor at Movati Burlington
Designed for all levels and abilities, Barre Physique is a total body muscular conditioning class that is based on elements of ballet, yoga, and Pilates. You will tone and strengthen your muscles using low weights and high repetitions. The low-impact, high-intensity movements are a fun and motivating way to combine strength training with cardio, core conditioning, balance, and flexibility.
Small, Controlled Movements for Big Results
Barre exercises use isometric movements that focus on prolonged tensing of specific muscles one at a time, without moving the surrounding joints. Key is the use of small, controlled movements for big results! Regular barre classes provide the following benefits:
- Increased muscle strength, particularly in your core, pelvic floor, arms, thighs, and glutes. Strengthening your core stabilizes the center of your body to assist your appendicular skeleton and a strong pelvic floor aids bladder control. Overall muscle strength also helps to manage your weight, sustain muscle mass as you age, maintain joint flexibility, and improve your balance.
- Higher bone density – an important factor as you age, preventing osteoporosis and bone fractures.
- Greater flexibility and range of motion in your joints. This not only makes daily movement easier, but it also prevents stiffness as a result of inactivity.
- Improved endurance or stamina. Higher levels of muscular endurance lead to lower levels of triglycerides, serum blood glucose, and decreased blood pressure and risk of cardiovascular disease or musculoskeletal injuries.
- Better posture that reduces pressure on your spine and associated back pain while encouraging deeper breathing.<
Not only do barre workouts help you look good, but their gentle precision also makes them ideal as part of your rehabilitation program, too.
Sports Medicine Specialists in the Halton Region
Sheddon Physiotherapy and Sports Clinic serves Oakville, Burlington, Mississauga, and surrounding areas. Our multi-disciplinary healthcare team embraces innovative treatments and modalities that allow for faster healing and quicker pain relief.
You can count our expertise in physiotherapy, chiropractic, massage therapy, and sports medicine! Contact us today to setup you appointment.