Last week’s blog talked about how the glutes are so important for stabilizing your body. This week, we’re going for exercises that target those muscles!
Exercise 1–> Glute Bridging
Up first is a common and really simple exercise for rehabilitation and muscle re-education.
1. Lie flat on the floor on your back with your hands by your sides and your knees bent. Both feet should be flat on the ground and shoulder width apart.
2. Lift up your hips as high as you can, squeezing your glutes and activating your core. Keep your back straight and drive your heels into the floor. Tip: Remember to breathe through the movements.
3. Slowly bring your hips back down. Repeat.
Exercise 2–>Side-lying Hip Abduction with Extension
This exercise is something I’ve picked up from working with hockey teams. It’s a great way to exercise your core, while firing your glutes, and the entire lower quadrant.
1. Lie on your side, facing away from the wall. Place a swissball between you and the wall so that the back of the top leg or heel is touching the swissball.
2. Dig your heel into the ball, and while pointing your toes perpendicular to the wall, swing your leg towards the ceiling as far as you can go.
3. Slowly lower your leg back to starting position.
4. Alternate legs.