We are currently offering athletes of all levels and sports who have not completed their Concussion Baseline Testing a special rate of 70$, when completed during our group sessions on Friday, Oct. 14th and Saturday Oct. 15th, 2016. For more information or to make an appointment, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for available times.
Frequently Asked Questions:
- The season has already started, are we too late for concussion baseline tests?
- NO! Preseason is the ideal time for testing, but anytime during the year prior to a concussion is better than no baseline.
- WIll the cost be covered through my insurance?
- The cost of the baseline is covered under most Extended Health Plans since it is administered by a physiotherapist.
- My child had a baseline done over a year ago, why should we do it again?
- As young athletes mature, their baseline scores can change greatly from one year to the next. Therefore, it is recommended that athletes get a baseline at the beginning of each season.
- My hockey team did the impact test preseason, isn’t that good enough?
- No! Computerized neuropsychological tests, such as the ImPACT test are only assessing one aspect of concussions, neurocognitive function. In order to properly manage concussions a baseline test must be multidimensional, assessing the full spectrum of concussion outcomes (i.e., balance, reaction time, visual processing, physical capacity AND neurocognitive function). In order to know when an athlete has fully recovered, the different areas of the brain that could potentially be affected with a concussion must be assessed prior to and after a concussion.
- It’s not mandatory for my childs team.
- Concussion baseline tests are becoming widely used in many sports at all levels. Although not mandatory (yet) in all high-risk sports, it is one of the most important and effective tools for concussion management. Without a baseline test there is no way to accurately know when an athlete has fully recovered from a concussion. Research has shown that concussion symptoms improve much sooner than brain recovery, which may put athletes at risk for returning to sport too quickly, especially if sport clearance is based solely on symptoms.
- Those dates don’t work for my child or team?
- If you are part of a team or an individual who would like to participate in Concussion Baseline Testing but you cannot fit these dates into your schedule, please contact us and we will try to arrange for another date and time.